I answered them all. All the questions. I was truthful. I was clear. I did not mince words or skip things or dance around subjects. And it seemed pretty straightforward. You apply to be in a fairy tale, and you tell them what kind of fairy tale you want to be in, and you pay the deposit, and then they put you in the fairy tale.
Does this look like a castle to you? No? That’s right! It’s not a castle. I was very very clear about that. I said I wanted to live in a castle. Not once did I use the word cottage. Not once did I use the word hovel.
And yet, here I am. It’s been a week. My notes go unanswered, even though I put them in the post box as indicated. The three women who live here and take care of me insist that I call them my Aunties. They call me “Little Fair One” to my face, and “Little Smart Mouth” when they think I can’t hear them.
At least something about this place is smart, hm? I mean, obviously, Sleeping Beauty at least in a couple of versions, lived with three transformed fairies who took care of her until she pricked her finger anyway, but that is not what I signed up for; it’s not what I paid a deposit for, and no-one seems to be responding to my strongly-worded notes. I don’t know how these people expect to keep a fairytale tourism business running if they offer such poor service.
Ooh, golly, let me show you round my humble home! And I do mean humble. Here is the entry foyer; as you can see, there are no footmen, no servants, not even a mouse to take my cape. There is a hall stand, a stairway, and that’s pretty much it.
The Aunties spend a lot of time here in the kitchen, which means I spend as little time here as possible. Would you believe they tried to get me to peel potatoes my first night? Potatoes? I explained to them that carbs are really bad for me. Auntie One (I have no idea what their names are) said, “Oh, well, I guess we can substitute with carrots.” Wow.
Their lounge is full of kitsch and mementos from their pasts, maybe? Or maybe they’re just props. Pictures and silhouettes of former residents, Half a tonne of music boxes. I asked about some of them. “Oh, that was one of our favourite Little Fair Ones,” they said, about the blonde cherub on the wall there. “She went on to do great things.” Then One clucked at Three and Two gave them both a dark look and they all three shut up. At least there are books there, and at least they don’t bother me too much. Funny they haven’t even asked me about any balls or anything. I’ve been here a week. Maybe management has already contacted them about the mistake and they’re just waiting for the fix. Yesterday, a spinning wheel appeared by the lounge front window. I think they’re just torturing me now.
And speaking of torture— my little room might as well be for a servant! It doesn’t even have a proper door. I mean, sure, it’s got some castle décor and there’s a pillow with a crown on it, but other than that, I’m experiencing the top of the wattle-and-daub line, here. And that’s not a compliment. I’m taking a lot of snapshots to make my eventual complaint more colourful when I finally make it back home.
Well, sometimes we just have to take matters into our own hands, don’t we. I’m going upstairs with a pair of scissors, I am. And I’m ripping that crown off the pillow. That’s what I’m going to do.
It should be hours before the Aunties get back from market day. They were gone ’til nearly midnight last time, and they came back with hardly any shopping. The market must be a long way away and it must not have very much, is all I’m saying.
Out in the front garden, there’s a statue of a dragon guardian, and I’m sure he can help me out. Dragons always know what to do.
C’mon, help me out here! I paid good money for this, and I know you must have a direct line to whomever’s in charge. Anybody with a big glowing orb is important; at least that’s what my GM always says. You don’t want to be named in my official complaint, do you? Just get me out of here, OK? This is not what I paid for.
Notes & Credits:
Enchantment’s Sleeping Beauty round closes on the 31st of August! That’s in just a few days. So you only have a few days to rush down there and fulfil all your fairytale needs! This is a great round, full of beautiful story-inspired items for your home, great clothes, beautiful hair, accessories, and some surprises that you didn’t know you needed until now.
Pictured items featured at Enchantment:
- Hair & Crown: Love, Rose Hair
- House: Hisa, Merrywether Cottage
- Porch Dragons: Banana Peel: Dragons O De Moors
- Princess Bedroom: StarSugar, Sleeping Beauty Gacha Items, including: Bed, Side Table, Crown Pillow, & Pink Rug
- Dragon Statue: Cerridwen’s Cauldron, The Guardian Statue
Other Nifty Stuff
- Skin: Wyrd, Saga, T2
- Body: Maitreya
- Head: Catwa, Blueberry
- Eyes: Avi-Glam, Siren Eyes
- Ears: Andore, Delfiya Ears
- Necklace: Rise Design, Cap d’Agde Necklace
- Gown: Silvan Moon Designs, Princess Buttercup Gown
Other Nifty Stuff
- Hall Stand: Second Spaces, Coven Hall Stand
- Hall Desk: Kraftwork, Fairy Cottage Desk
- Hall Desk Knicknacks, 3rd Eye Twisted Fables, Fairy Gifts
- Living Room
- Light: Petrichor, Triin Celestial Lamp
- Couch: Kraftwork, Fairy Cottage Couch
- End Tables: Petrichor, Clarus Table (short)
- Lamps: Kraftwork, Fairy Cottage Old Lamp
- Table Under Window: Petrichor, Clarus Table (long, cloth)
- Wand Stand: Petrichor, Rinik Wandholder
- Book: The Plastik, Anthophilia Book
- Hourglass: Ohmai, 100 Years Of Waiting Hourglass*
- Spinning Wheel: HopScotch, 100 Years Of Sleep*
- Book Stack: 3rd Eye Perceptions, Grimm Storys book 1
- Bookshelf: Moonlight Shadow, Old Bookshelf A Iron
- Music Boxes: Various, from The Looking Glass, 3rd Eye Perceptions, Aine Marie Flanagan (I collect SL music boxes; contact me for details)
- All kitchen fixtures: Artisan Fantasy, fantasy kitchen
- Table: Apple Fall, Pottery Dining Table
- Chairs: Apple Fall, Steadfast Dining Chairs
- Chandelier: Di’Cor, Jacqueline Chandelier
- Wall Art: The Looking Glass, Live, Love, Laugh Succulents
All poses: An Lar
Photographic lighting: LumiPro & Nifty Windlights
Post Editing: Affinity Photo on a 16″ MacBook Pro
* Way back in the long-ago, there was another kind of Enchantment event. These two items are from the Sleeping Beauty round of that event. I was, no pun intended, enchanted to find that I still had a few things from that event in my inventory, and it was fun to use them in photos for this one.