If Mythspire Ridge seems dazzling from afar
Then you have not looked close enough. Go back,
And take the stairways down to where the sea
Meets soil: there, you will hear a different tale.
The belly of the ridge, beneath the arch,
Beneath the statue bases, where the trees
Grow shorter but the crystals shine as bright,
Here find the roots of Mythspire Ridge revealed.
Do you know how to listen with your bones?
Have you learned all the languages of trees?
Another language is yet spoken here
Where sea-salt takes its tea to veiled mushrooms.
So now, sit comfortably. Don’t close your eyes—
You’ll miss the bioluminescent moss
Or lose the yellow duckweed twinkling,
Or skip the chance to wish on the moon lotus.
And sure, I could regale you with the tale
Of how the gnome toes got their name (it’s grim!),
Or warn you that the shimmerleaf trees lie,
But I am not your mother; not a chance.
And we are here to learn: what else is there?
The universe is made of stories, loves.
It is unfair to disregard the dark
Because you seek the light. Of that, I’m sure.
Consider here the shadows of the veils:
When light is slant, they blanket that great Hall
And make the most alluring patterns there.
Because of them, you notice now the light.
Forgive me: did you think because I’m cute
And dressed in pink this day would be a lark?
We’re called “The Good Folk” not because we’re good:
Insult a “Kindly One” and you’ll learn why.
And now you want to go back up those steps
So you can see a mushroom with a view?
I hardly think it’s worth it, but of course
I’ll do this favour for you, just this once.
See here the Golden Stag assert his rule.
He’s King of Sunrise now, but just like Hugh,
That unfortunate troll, he’s made of stone.
Nevertheless, those antlers could do harm.
Another favour? Now you’ll owe me, child.
But yes, I’ll take you up so you can see
That vista all the poets talk about.
A wish for your wish granted; that seems fair.
I leave you with the amaranthine ken
That every night, you’ll see the dark again.
Notes, Credits, & SLURLs
- Mythspire Ridge is one of twenty regions that make up the 2022 Relay for Life of Second Life’s Fantasy Faire, to benefit the American Cancer Society. Mythspire Ridge is designed by Elicio Ember and sponsored by Ceridwen’s Cauldron. Fantasy Faire opened on the 22nd of April at 12pm SLT (that’s US Pacific Time!). Visit before the 8th of May, when all the Fairelands will fade back into the mists, never to be seen again as they are this year.
- Gwyneth’s Gown: Belle Epoque, Living Echoes
- Gwyneth’s Wings: SP (Spider Productions), Ascendant Wings, Fairy v 1
- Gwyneth’s Jewels (Crown, earrings, and necklace): Petrichor, Markesh Jewelry
- Gwyneth’s Ear-tips: Venge, Lelutka EvoX Ear Blushing
- Gwyneth’s Skin: ND/MD, FLO, in Snow
- Other items not featured at Fantasy Faire: Hair: Stealthic, Realness; Nails: Evyntera, Unicorn Tears; Head: Lelutka: EvoX Gaia; Body: Maitreya; Eyeshadow: Cazimi, Fitoori; Lipstick: Shiny Stuffs, Secret’s in the Gloss
Because folks have asked: yes, the sponsor SLURLs point to the sponsors’ main stores; that’s how it’s listed in the Fairelands entries. The region SLURLs point to the region landing points. All individual links to merchants other than the sponsor links point to their actual stores at this year’s Faire.