As usual, so many things are happening I’ve no room to write them down. So I am behind, and unless I put things down in the book, they go right out of my head. The long fae memory must have skipped a generation with me.
Teri and I are getting to know one another mostly by text message. This is a great deal of fun; I’d forgot how I used to communicate pretty much solely via text message. And the iPhone 5 is so much faster than my old iPhone 3GS! I mean, I still miss the old phone; she was a great phone. What a stupid thing to say. But I do wonder what happened to my stuff. And my old life. And all that stuff I am not meant to dwell on.
Anyway, Teri asked me out. On a date. To a ball. Like a big dance. Maybe I will actually get to meet some people in Cranberry Cove now. I mean, I’ve met a few, but nothing seems to stick much. I hope getting to know Teri will help change that: she seems to know everybody, and she’s trying to buy what used to be the Blue Fin restaurant before Amara, aka the lady with the clipboard I met on my first day in Cranberry Cove, packed up her stuff and left town in a hurry. Or was murdered. Or kidnapped. Rumours are flying round about that. Either way, the restaurant went up for sale awfully fast: I can only assume she departed of her own volition. Or maybe that there are many evil forces at work in quiet, “safe” Cranberry Cove.
Speaking of that, there’s something weird with the Awen in this town. I don’t know if it’s always been this way or if it’s just gone awry recently, but the longer I stay here, the more something just feels off to me.
I’ve never been on a date with a girl before. I mean, obviously there was Val and Nate and me back in Ash, but that was more of a regrettably one-time thing than a date. I think on a date you have to go somewhere besides Nate’s cabin. And there was that time I kissed Fen, but we were pissed and she laughed it off the next day.
I was drawing the other day, trying to do some sketches of Janus and me without actually creating fae porn art, and of course I had the music up really loud, because it’s easier to draw that way (The Clash, if you must know, and I’m not at all ashamed of it). And I was visited by a police officer, who informed me I could be fined for playing loud music. Fuck. Fined? It was 2:00 in the afternoon! On a Thursday! Oh, but I live near a hospital and I might be disturbing the patients. Um, hospitals have walls, bollockhead. I also live near the courthouse and if court were in session I might be getting this visit from the district judge. Who is going to walk out of his courtroom to give that asbo down the block a good telling off. Yeah. I pretended to be all interested in noise regulations and asked him what else I could be fined for. I’m sure there’s a long list somewhere I haven’t seen yet. It’s probably unpublished so the police force can make new stuff up as and when.
People I have met so far in Cranberry Cove:
- Amara, who doesn’t live here any more;
- Officer Big and Angry, who is probably responsible for the cop visit;
- Sera, who was a little scary at first but who’s actually really nice;
- Giada, who seems to hang out at the Harp and Whatsis a lot;
- Marcus, who is very nice but doesn’t talk at all;
- Ophelia, who apparently lives with Marcus;
- Devo, but he was in handcuffs at the time;
- That one girl at the coffee shop that night who didn’t give her name;
- Teri, who is super nice and texts me a lot;
- Angelica, who is a lecturer at the university;
- Victoria, who is some kind of important witch and who Teri wants me to get to know;
- Various people on CoveNET, who I guess I don’t really know but who chat with me sometimes when they’re not busy ignoring me because they don’t know who I am except for a few of them, including CardLady, who is actually called Valene (!) and who says I should come to her shop for a reading sometime.
And that’s it.
Well, fine. I will go to this dance with Teri, and I will talk to people, and I will make friends here, as much as I can, anyway. And if it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out, and I find somewhere else willing to enrol me for a second PhD, and I will just move the fuck on.
That sounded angry. I’m not angry. I’m really chuffed to be able to come here and build a life, particularly with Alec and Isabella so close by. It’s realm hopping with stabilisers on!
Must tell Nathaniel about Teri. O, invisible and in fact nonexistent reader, how much do you want to bet he suggests a threesome? He may be my love and my darling, but he is in many ways just a typical guy.